Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Re-thinking weight loss tactics................




I took a long hard look at myself this week and decided it was time I take my daily focus away from the metal devil and begin focusing on what I can do to become healthier. Recently I've put way to much emphasis on the scale and I need to let that go. The scale is definitely a needed tool but not to the point its hindering the positive focus on my weight loss. During the summer I have walked daily for several miles and I continued to lose weight but lately my walking doesnt seem to be enough. With winter around the corner in Minnesota I needed another form of exercise. I made the decision to join the gym and begin working out on cardio one day and weight training the next.

I moved forward with my decision and joined a gym very close to my house and have been there every day working out. I have discovered muscles I never knew existed in my body. I've always heard "no pain, no gain" so if this is true I shall look like one sexy Mama in about a week. LMAO

I've been using the treadmill, elliptical, and stationary bike for an hour one day then several different weight lifting machines the next. Have you ladies ever tried the elliptical machine? It looked harmless enough to me so I figured no problem I've got this baby under control how hard can it be to walk and swing your arms. I mean c'mon I do it every day. Well, if you have never used this machine let me warn you now it gives you one heck of a workout. My legs were screaming at me and I wasnt able to stay on very long but I figured each time I used it I would stay on one extra minute until me and the machine came to an understanding. Not sure what that is yet but I'm sure gonna give it my best shot. LOL

I hope you ladies are having a great week. I read a story this week that meant a lot to me so I wanted to share it with you wonderful ladies.


A SPECIAL BUTTERFLY STORY

A man found a cocoon of a butterfly. One day a small opening appeared. He sat and watched the butterfly for several hours as it struggled to force its body through that little hole. Then it seemed to stop making any progress. It appeared as if it had gotten as far as it had and it could go no further.

Then the man decided to help the butterfly, so he took a pair of scissors and snipped off the remaining bit of the cocoon. The butterfly then emerged easily. But it had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings. The man continued to watch the butterfly because he expected that, at any moment, the wings would enlarge and expand to be able to support the body, which would contract in time.

Neither happened! In fact, the butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings. It never was able to fly.

What the man in his kindness and haste did not understand was that the restricting cocoon and the struggle required for the butterfly to get through the tiny opening were God's way of forcing fluid from the body of the butterfly into its wings so that it would be ready for flight once it achieved its freedom from the cocoon.

Sometimes struggles are exactly what we need in our life. If God allowed us to go through our life without any obstacles, it would cripple us. We would not be as strong as what we could have been. And we could never fly.

8 comments:

Jo said...

Congratulations to you and your new gym decision! Sounds like it's already doing it's work on you.

That butterfly story was quite jarring but has a great meaning. Thank you for sharing it.

noelle said...

So glad you have found a new way to approach this journey. I think we get so focused on one thing that we forget we can do other things to help push us along.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on joining the gym! I am getting an eliptical machine in a month or so, so I expect I'll have to come to an "agreement" with mine, too! LOL

-Chris

BTW - the Butterfly Story was beautiful and made me stop and think about the way I view my progress!

Diana Swallow said...

I think when you reach a point when facing a lot of weight to lose when it becomes very important step away from the scale and focus on eating healthy and exercising. If you know your calories are in range and you are exercising the scale will cooperate in its own time.

Colette said...

Damn that story hit home here girly!! I am going to print that out and carry it with me in my wallet and take it out to read it when I need to.
Thanks Jan your such an inspiration to me and you make it seem so easy!! I know its not just don't tell my BRAIN...LOL
I heart you and hugs....
Colette

The Price's Wife said...

What a great post... I think we are all guilty of this at times. I love the story about the butterfly, there's a great message there too!

Chubby Chick said...

Wow! Bravo to you for your new exercise routine! That is AWESOME!

Great story! Thanks for sharing. :)

Diana Swallow said...

just popping in to say HI!! and I hope you are having a great week!